Saturday, June 16, 2007

All About Friendster

Just wanna share what I have read. =)

I worked on this article "Friendster Didn't Die, The Site Lives on Southeast Asia" published on the June 6, 2007 issue of New York City's Wall Street Journal. On the front page, was a picture of a man with a Smiley-face head (the logo of friendster), wearing a T-shirt with the Philippines' flag standing on a globe. I was fascinated. It is in the Wall Street! =) According to the article, more than 70% of Friendster traffic comes from the SEA and it is the most popular Web site in the Phils. From its start in 2002, the San Francisco, California-based Friendster appealed to a global set: Californian Asian-Americans and their friends and relatives in Asia, particularly in the Phils. Filipinos make up one of the largest and most tightly knit diaspora communities in Asia. In 2006, Friendster set up a team of 10 engineers in the country with whom U.S. executives hold calls at 6pm, given the time difference. The site has become CULTURALLY entrenched in the country that folks refer to each other as "Friendsters." (I don't know if this one is true cos I'm not calling my friends as friendster.) Some employers and universities block access to the site just to keep people on task (Oh! this one is true kc naka-firewall ung isang computer nmin sa first floor haha) Friendster is banned at all workplaces. 

This one's cute. It actually amuses me =)

2 comments:

  1. Yung nakamozilla na PC sa first floor? Hehehe =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah kurak gurlalo! un nga ngaun tanda mo pa pala :-)

    ReplyDelete