Friday, August 7, 2015

New York is Really Happening!

A week after getting my visa, here I am, telling this humble blog about the things that happened leading to that amazing day! And since fewer people know/follow this blog, it is quite easy to tell every details of it haha! (So yes it's like telling everything to my future self, in case, I forget or I got an amnesia or something)

So in May, I was told if I want to join a close family friend of mine on their plan to see friends in the US. They're also thinking of visiting some states. They had visa before so they merely just renewed it this time. I was undecided because hello air fare? pocket money? accommodation? I thought about it, prayed about it and asked for signs if this is a good time to visit the US and make my dream come true. The universe, apparently, heard me and took care everything and it just leave me a decision to go or not. And after a few weeks, I said YES! =)

But as everyone knows, coming from the Philippines, it won't be easy to get a US visa just like that. They have this notion that people getting that visa will not come back and stay in the US for good. I don't blame the US government (especially the consuls in the embassy here) because, sadly, some people are doing that. But, in my case, I know for sure that after that one month travel, I'll go home because duh work and family? And the hardest part of it, is how you will defend that to the consul. So, before being anxious about that, I had my documents prepared such as:

1. Letter of Employment or Certificate of Employment
2. Approved Leave Form (I will be going for a month including 4 weekends so I asked for a 21-day PTO)
3. Bank Certificate from my bank
4. Bank History (I only printed those available online so that I won't pay additional fee)
5. Old and new Passports
6. 2014 Income Tax Return
7. 3-Month Payslip
8. NSO Birth Certificate (in case)

After completing the DS-160 online, I paid USD160 at BPI for the visa fee. After waiting for 4 hours, I went online again and set my appointment on July 28, 2015 at 7:30 AM. I almost waited a month and a half before the day had come. 

So come July 28, with all my documents/requirements with me, I went to the US Embassy in Roxas Boulevard at around 6:30 AM. I left all my electronic gadgets and not-so-important stuff at the office and proceeded to the embassy just with my documents, wallet, face powder and rosary with me. I only bring a small bag where I can put all my things. I've read that the embassy are too strict about going in there with gadgets so I made sure that there are no hassles on that. They will cancel your appointment once they found out that you have them with you. Well, there are people outside there who will "take care" of your gadgets, in case, you still have your phones/ipods with you, for a price like 100 PHP. But it is really scary to leave your precious gadgets to unknown random people.

At 7:03 AM, the first security checked my appointment letter and passport. They will put some sort of sticker barcode at the back of your passport. After that you will go through the second security where they will put your bag to check if you have gadgets on your stuff. And there I saw two people who were turned away because they found cellphones inside their bags. There are makulit na mga tao lang talaga because they were told already that they cannot go inside the embassy with their gadgets but still pumasok pa din sila. So I feel pity about them. They should have listened. 

So after ng second screening, there's this window who will ask how many applicants scheduled for today and they will give you a number which will be used later on sa interview. My number is 2173. These four numbers will be my biggest luck I said haha! After about 5 minutes sitting at the waiting area, I was told to go inside for the fingerprint scanning and verification/encoding process. So I went through the third security and voila, I'm really inside the US Embassy! After the verification process where I asked what's my purpose in traveling to the US, which I answered "vacation," I was whisked away to the finger print scanning line. After maybe 30 minutes, it was my turn and it was just easy peasy! And at around 9:00 AM the American staff told me to sit and wait to be called for the interview itself. 


One and 15 minutes later at exactly 10:15 AM, my number was flashed in the screen. There's this big 2173 number flashing and telling me to proceed to Counter 8. There were a lot of people that day and I mean a lot. Since the waiting area is close enough with the interview windows you could practically hear the questions they are asking to the applicants.

I calmly walked towards Counter 8 and found an African-American waiting for me. And this how my interview went:

Me: Hi! Good morning! (I'm probably wearing the biggest smile I ever had in my life haha)
Consul: Hi Good morning! 

M: How are you?
C: I'm great, thank you, how are you?
M: I'm fine thank you!
C: What's your purpose in going to the US?
M: A vacation from October 16-November 14, 2015
*types in the computer*
C: So what do you do?
M: I'm working as a Web Analyst QA in Makati City
*types in the computer*
C: So, tell me what is your work all about
M: *says the most accurate definition of my work*
C: That sounds interesting!
M: Thank you! *smiles*
C: Have you traveled to the US before?
M: No, I haven't.
C: Have you traveled to any countries before?
M: Yes, I've been to Toronto, Ontario Canada and several Asian countries such as Malaysia and Cambodia.
C: *flips my passport, no Canadian visa found* (It was in the old passport and he had my newest one) Where's your Canadian visa?
M: Hold on a sec *open my envelope, gets the old passport, hands it to him* Here it is. *smiles*
C: *flips old passport, seen Chinese visa* What did you do in China?
M. I went sightseeing around the Great Wall of China *smiles*
C. Nice! *smiles*
C: What did you do in Canada?
M: I've visited my relatives, tour around downtown Toronto and went to see the Niagara Falls! 
C: How was Niagara Falls? *smiles*
M: It was amazing! It was Spring time when I get there so it's perfect! *smiles*
C: How did you get a Canadian visa?
Me: I applied for a tourist visa in 2012 and I was approved.
C: What Asian countries you've traveled?
M: Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore (at this moment I'm trying to recall every country I've been to, to prove that I will go home once my vacation is done!)
C: How many years you've been with your company?
M: 7 years and 3 months.
C: Do you have relatives in the US?
M: No, I don't have.
C: Do you have relatives in New Jersey?
M: No, I don't have.
C: Are you single or married?
M: I'm single.
C: Do you have children?
M: No, I don't have children.
C: Congratulations! Your visa is approved, please wait for 5 days for the issuance of your visa. * smiles*
M: *shocked face but smiling* Thank you very much! Have a great day! *SMILES* 

I could practically hear my heart beat for the whole duration of the interview. But as nerve-wracking it was, I was relaxed and calm the whole time. I know I answered all his questions and proved to him that I'll come home after the vacation. It seemed like it was a long interview but it was actually 5-6 minutes. I read that a lot has been turned away even though they have the cleanest intention so I know I did great. I went back to the office afterwards and called my parents for the good news!

Two days later, I received my visa and was shocked that they actually gave a me 10-year multiple entry! I'm beyond ecstatic because the next 10 years will be exciting for me! I know it means a lot of money in terms of financing a travel but who wouldn't be giggly and happy for that right? But for the mean time, I'm just thankful and grateful for this blessing given to me. And I'm RAD as hell for the trip on October 16!
NEW YORK I'M SOO COMING! =)


 

1 comment:

  1. I am SOO excited for you. America is amazing. A.MAZ. ING! Yeah they are kinda strict with all their visa stuff but for good reason. And if you have legitimate reasons for travelling and dont intend to overstay, there is no problem.

    When you get to the airport, they'll probably ask you some questions again at passport checks. ("Purpose of visit" "How long are you staying" "Where are you staying" etc)

    It was funny because the second time I went for my 90 day trip I KNEW they were going to pull me aside for extra questioning, but as soon as I showed them all my documents about returning to work and proof of having enough funds for my trip they laughed (kindly) and let me through straight away.

    NYC is seriously my favourite place on Earth - you are going to have THE best time. Please take LOADS of photos for your Lexlings :)

    ReplyDelete